The ruins of the Kangra Fort are located on a strategic height overlooking the Manjhi River and Ban Ganga River. The remains of the Kangra fort are still a dominating feature of the Kangra Valley. Mohammed Ghazni occupied the Kangra Fort in 1009 AD and at that time the place was called Bhima Nagar, after the name of Bhima, one of the Pandavas. Muhammed Tuglaq also conquered the fort in 1337, but could not occupy it for long. Feroz Tuglaq also plundered the fort in 1365 AD.