Chamba Attractions/Tourist places/Local Sightseeing
Chamba is a small town in the state of Himachal Pradesh in India. This town serves as the district headquarters of the Chamba district in Western Himalayas. The region has an altitude of nearly 3300 feet above sea level. The town, the valley and the district in which this town is situated share a common name of Chamba. This town is situated at the junction of River Ravi and River Sal, a tributary of Ravi. The Shah Madar hill serves as a beautiful backdrop to the town towards east. The old capital of this region was Bharmour, which is located 75 kilometres from the town of Chamba.In 920, after conquering the Ranas and the Thakurs at the lower Rani Valley Raja Sahil Verma shifted the capital of the kingdom to Chamba, following the specific request of his daughter Champavati. Chamba was named after her.
The town is known for its spectacular temple architecture and splendid natural beauty. The town is situated amongst beautiful valleys and has tourists visiting the place throughout the year. The area has rich flora and fauna in the Sub Himalayan ranges and is known for a pleasant climate throughout the year. The temples, lakes, and wildlife sanctuaries in the region makes it an ideal tourist destination. This place is also known as the Land of Shiva. It has a serene and untouched natural beauty. All this information and lots more is available in Chamba travel guide.
Saho is one of the prettiest villages in Himachal Pradesh. It is located on a breathtaking plateau and is on the right bank of River Sal. Hidden in groves of trees, you can see the very famous Shiva Temple. Here, Lord Shiva is worshipped in his moon-crowned or Chandrashekhar manifestation. Two huge Shiva statues guard the entrance to temples and there is also a Shivaling. The Nandi Bull faces the entrances and is a beautifully carved image in itself. There are also natural springs behind the temple and the water is supposed to have medicinal properties.
Rang Mahal #2
Rang Mahal is one the largest monuments of the region made using brick. Located in Surara Mohalla, it exhibits a fusion of Mughal and British architectures. The foundation stone of the palace was laid by Raja Umed Singh of Chamba. The structure was completed in the year 1860 under Raj Sri Singh, who developed the southern part of the palace.The palace had painted doors and paintings, which are preserved at the Bhuri Singh Museum of Chamba.
Khajjiar Lake #3
Khajjiar Lake is situated in Khajjiar, in Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh, India. It is situated at a height of around 1,920 m above sea level between Dalhousie and Chamba Town. The lake is set in a huge grassy landscape, with evergreen cedar trees surrounding it from all sides. The lake takes its name from Khajji Nag, the deity in the temple nearby. The lake has considerably shrunk over the years and is now almost on the verge of vanishing.
Summer Hill #4
Summer Hills is a small hill located in Chamba. Locally known as Porter's Hill, Summer Hills is part of the seven-hill cluster forming this beautiful hill station.Besides being a tourist destination, it also houses the campus of the prestigious Himachal Pradesh University, established in 1975, which is spread across the green locales of Summer Hills.
Chamunda Devi #5
The Chamunda Devi Temple is one of the most frequented worship centres in the region, dedicated to Chamunda Devi, a manifestation of Goddess Durga who killed demons like Chanda and Munda, according to Hindu mythology. The shrine was built by Raja Umed Singh in 1762.The attractions of the shrine are animal and floral motifs carved on the ceiling. Some of the other highlights of the shrine are the wooden construction and gabled roof of slates. Besides, the temple also features a mandap and an agni-kund (fire pit). The mandapa exhibits human figures on the pillars and brackets carved in panelled ceiling of wood.
Sui Mata Temple #6
Sui Mata Temple, a frequently visited Hindu pilgrim centre, is situated at the intersection of Chamunda Devi Temple and Brajeswari Temple. The temple is dedicated to the regional princess of Chamba, Sui, who sacrificed her life for the people of her kingdom. The temple depicts the story of Sui Mata in the form of colourful paintings.
Laxmi Narayan Temple #7
The Laxmi Narayan Temple is one of the most revered places of the region, which was built by Raja Sahil Verman. The shrine, constructed in the 10th century, is devoted to the Vaishnavite sect. The main attraction of the temple includes the wooden chattries, which are built with regard to dynamic climatic conditions. The other highlights of the shrine are shikara, a sanctum sanctorum (Garbhagriha) along with an antarala and a mantapa.The shrine houses a metallic image of Garuda, vahanam (mount) of Lord Vishnu.
Bhuri Singh Museum #8
Bhuri Singh Museum is one of the major tourist attractions of the Chamba valley, which houses Basohli and Kangra paintings. The miniature artwork was displayed with the view to honour Raja Bhuri Singh. The acclaimed museum was established on September 14, 1908.The gallery features the rare Sarda script that provides rare information about the medieval history of Chamba. The parasites of Sarahan, Devi-ri-kothi and Mul Kihar are the major repositories of the museum.
Champavati Temple #9
Built in the Shikhara style, a Nepali form of architecture which comprises a curved cylindrical structure divided into five or nine parts and ending in a bell shaped dome, the temple of Goddess Champavati is steeped in legend. Champavati was a princess, the daughter of Raja Sahil Varman. As the story goes, she loved visiting the temple, but her father wondered if the attraction was really the temple or the priest who presided over it. So one day he followed her with his dagger drawn, hoping to catch her in the act. But when he reached, the place was empty. He could see neither his daughter nor the priest.
Hari Rai Temple #10
A lesser known but historically significant landmark, the Hari Rai Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu in his Chaturmurti manifestation. The temple was built in the 11th century by Salabhana and occupies the north-west corner of the main Chaugan, the grassy promenade which was the official entrance to town in the 19th century. Built in the lesser used Shikhara style, the temple is more elaborate than most because its Shikhara is decorated with carvings and it stands on a stone platform. A bridge leading to the temple, known as the Shitla bridge was built in 1894 and is much photographed by tourists.
Vajreshwari Temple #11
This temple is dedicated to the Goddess Vajreshwari or Yogini Devi. This ferocious warrior Goddess is surrounded by much myth. One story says that the Gods, troubled by a demon performed a huge ritual around a fire (yajna) to pray for deliverance. Indra, the short tempered God of thunder and lightning, angry because he wasnâ€™t given enough attention during the ceremony, hurled his trademark weapon, the thunderbolt into the fire.